A Lifelong Journey and Commitment.

Between FaceBook, Twitter, MySpace (does anybody really use that anymore?) and other social networking sites, it's relatively easy to market yourself and get your name out there for other people as well as professionals in your field to get to know you. 

I started a Professional Twitter account (SchessFitness30, follow me!)  to get my name out there in the fitness and personal training arenas and the response I have gotten so far is unexpected.  I've gotten people I've never heard of in my life, from all areas of the globe following me and want to hear what I have to say.  This got me to thinking.....if they're willing to follow this feed that I'm writing, my words must be motivating, worthwhile and informative.  This also brought to mind the thought that I must be doing something right with this whole fitness journey I've started for myself.  You've got to understand, if you haven't read about my fitness ups and downs so far, that I wasn't always this geared up for hitting the gym, working out and looking forward to doing it all again the next day.

Up until a few short years ago, I was your typical 20-something guy.....in college, working a summer job, small circle of good friends, just average.  I was always small as a kid and even into my teens and early 20's.  Never really worked out or was active to a point where my body would conform to any noticeable changes.  Then something clicked.  I began feeling really crappy about myself.  I tried to hide is with my usual 'happy' mask but the more and more I felt crappy, the more people started to notice.  I know I needed to do something about how I was acting towards people and fast.  So I made a goal that I would start going to a gym to get myself involved with something more than just going to school and sitting at home during the evenings.

I signed up at a local gym, no more than a quick drive in the car over the hill from my home, nonetheless.  I signed up for a membership and thus my journey, unbeknownst to me, had started.  The first couple weeks, I wasn't consistent at all.  Whenever I had the energy, I'd drag myself to the gym, but when I went, I really didn't do all that much.  A machine here and there and I was back in the car headed for home.  i decided the only way to make this worth going was to sign up for personal training with a trainer.  The trainer I was paired with was a friend of mine from college, this was totally coincidental btw!  His name was Jeremy.  Now Jeremy was a little younger than me, majored in Engineering at Penn State and came from a bodybuilding and fitness family.  His dad owned one of the Bally's Gym's located in Monroeville.  I thought this might be good to be paired up with him because he kind of knew how busy I was at school and with Student Government and other such clubs on campus.  The first couple weeks were grueling, I finally figured out just how out of shape I was!  As time went on, I started to like the small, minute changes I was seeing with myself.  After about 4 months, Jeremy and I had parted ways and I left the gym and took a 4 year hiatus.

After four years of school, bouncing from job to job, I began to get discouraged again and decided to revisit the same gym that I had left 4 years prior.  I made up my mind to try PT services there again as well.  This time they brought out the big guns and gave me my trainer, the director of the PT services at the gym, Jimmy.  Between Jeremy and Jimmy, there were noticeable changes in the both of them.  Jimmy had been a PT for alot longer than Jeremy was, spending about 20 years in the business up to that point.  He also had experience with careers in other areas as well.  I knew that this time, I'd take a better liking to my training.  Jimmy knew how to take his time and when I didn't want to work, he kicked my butt and reminded me why I wanted to do this in the first place.  Over time, he wasn't just my trainer, I saw him as a friend and mentor.  When I got hired at my current job, I had left the gym by my house to join one closer to my employer.  I remember breaking the news to Jim.  I didn't even know how to bring it up, I just said something like, "Isn't the ultimate goal of a trainer not to have his client forever?"  And he said, "NO!  You always need me to guide you."  He laughed about it and made a joke but I could tell he was a little crushed.  But one thing led to another and here I am at the present gym, Urban Active Fitness.  By the way, Jimmy and I still keep in touch and see each other on a regular basis.

When I began at Urban Active, I was paired up with yet another trainer, who I am still seeing currently, Andy.  Now Andy is a guy who is full of energy, passion for what he does, a little goofy and and all around great guy.  Andy put me over the edge for wanting to pursue personal training and physical therapy as careers.  I think to myself from time to time, 'He looks like he has so much fun at his job, working with different people from all walks of life, trying to help them reach their goals.  This is definitely something I want to do.'  Even though I can walk into a gym now and pretty go through the workouts myself, I like having Andy there as added motivation and encouragement.  he's always good for a few one-liners as well during our sessions.

The reason I'm telling you all this is that last week, I received a text message from an old college and family friend of mine.  She had asked me if i was training clients and I said that currently I'm not certified but I'd be glad to help steer you in the right direction.  So I met with her at Panera and low and behold, I have my first Personal Training client.  Words can't describe how happy and privileged I felt when she said that she called me first.  I am truly elated and hopefully one of these maybe I'll train you.  You never know! 

Trying to market myself for personal training services is going to be one of trial and error I think.  Andy told me that one thing you must do is find the group of people that you want to train and just to get your name out there.  If there is interest and a need for your services, people will respond.  So back to my Twitter account.....if you are in need or would like personal training services or a FREE consult, please contact me!

Comments