Penn State....Positive!

Let's face it, if the past week has shown us anything, it is that Penn State University is in the doghouse right now.  Also, this is a prime example of how the actions of a few affect many in the long run.  But I've decided for this post to put a positive spin on PSU and talk about an event that I attended 2 weeks ago that helps college students get money to help pay for their schooling.


The 'All That's Jazz' benefit started 8 years ago on the Penn State Greater Allegheny campus benefitting PSUGA's scholarship fund by providing a night of awesome music, great food and fun.  This year was no different.  I have volunteered for this event all eight years and have had a ball helping out with it.  This year, a group called 42Five was the headliner.  42Five is an a capella group, much like the groups seen on TV's "Sing-Off" hosted by Nick Lachey on NBC. 



When I arrived at 9 AM that morning to help with preparations and setups, some of the prelimiinary work had been started already, and it looked great.  I knew this year was going to out-do the ones in the past.  As the hours went past, things were taking shape.  Setting up auction tables, moving furniture, etc.  It was so much fun, hectic, but fun!  Needless to say, I was beat after the few hours I had spent helping out.  As I was driving home in my car, I passed one of my best friends house, Kristen.  She had been outside with her sister, Jen, washing her car, so I decided to stop for a bit and chat.  I actually ended up going to lunch with Jen to Wendy's. 

After a much needed nap, I started to get ready for the Jazz event.  When I got to PSU, it was still early.  I walked into the building, and it looked great!  The lights, decorations and flowers all looked perfect.  I love events like this, it makes me feel like a young professional adult that is coming into a more mature period in my life.  I was excited that night too because I was to see some old Alums that I had went to college with and hadn't seen them in a long time.  It was going to be a great evening.  I was in charge of registration for the first part of the evening with some great women I knew as a student.  The other part of the evening I watched the 42Five performance.  This group came all the way from Orlando to do this show and it was nothing short of incredible.  The way they sang was so polished and clean, like somebody had mixers and equalizers attached to their mics as they were singing.  Here's a clip:



After seeing the show, the mood all around was very positive by everybody who was there.  Any why not?  It was a party after all!  The last responsibility I had that night was the silent auction and trying to get as much money and bids for items as I could.  I was in charge of about six Penn State students and having them help to obtain bids.  Although, a little confusing, a grand total of over 100, 000 dollars was raised to go towards the campus scholarship fund and to buy books and pay for technology for students of the campus.

Admist all the negative press that Penn State has gotten in the past week, there are still positive things going on within the individual campuses.  Another event that definitely shows the passion, drive and positivity of PSU students is THON.  For those of you who don't know, THON is a no sitting, no sleeping 46 hour dance marathon held at Penn State's Bryce Jordan Center annually.  I had the priviledge of attending THON from 2000-2005 as a student.  This is an event like no other.  All money raised goes to benefit the children and their families stricken with cancer from the Four Diamonds Fund at the Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA.  Since 1973, THON has raised over $73 million dollars to go towards this tremendously awesome cause.    

For The Glory.

Comments