Unlikely Angels in the most likely of places:)

Isn't it funny how you can feel 'blah' throughout your entire day.  Nothing necessarily spectacular happens or terrible for that matter, just your average day.  But then someone says something to you that makes your day go from blah to fantastic.  That kind of thing happened to me not only today but this weekend. 


Me and my mom on Thanksgiving

This weekend was a holiday weekend obviously, so I knew what I was in for.  On Thursday, I was having Thanksgiving dinner at my grandmother's with my parents, grandmother and my sister, her husband and my niece, Addison who is three years old.  When a person is faced with a holiday dinner, one thing that they try to avoid is DRAMA, and I'm no different.  In my family anymore, it's not the type of drama that you see on television or in movies where problems get so bad they tear families apart and screw up relationships.  In my family, I like to think of our drama as 'a comedic play gone sour'.  Most of the time, the drama on Thanksgiving spurred from my grandmother (Bless her little heart!).  Understandably so, here we are dealing with a 90 year old woman who has lived all her life by having Thanksgiving 'just so'.  It had been at least 10 years since we did the dinner at her house, so I think she was making up for lost time.  It was more or less all of us doing the work and her telling us what to do.  I didn't have a problem with it, like I said, I found it more funny than anything.  During dinner, me and my sister Lori heard a noise come from my grandmother, both of us looked at each other and started laughing.  Usually when I start laughing, I can't stop and that was the case.  All in all, thanksgiving was an 8 on a scale of 10 this year.

The next day I was meeting my best friend Matt, his fiance Virginia, Matt's brother Mike, wife Jaime and friends Nick and Matt for dinner at Vincent's Pizza Park in Forest Hills for dinner.  I had never eaten here before but I've seen shows on WQED where they had covered it and people have said the food was legendary.  Well, I'd definitely have to agree!  It was just SO greasy that when all the pizza was gone, the grease that was left on the pan was pooling all together in huge globs.  It was kind of gross.  Jaime is actually a competitor in various fitness physique competitions in the area, and me being the fitness and personal training buff, both looked at each other and said "Well, after this dinner, it's more cardio and working out this week!" 
I hadn't seen Matt and Virginia since the end of June, as he lives in Maryland now.  It was great catching up.  They had told me all about the new house they were purchasing, showed me pictures of it and all that.  As I was looking at the pictures and talking with them, I thought, "Here is a person that when I met him, I couldn't stand him.  He was loud, outspoken and obnoxious."  Even now, he still had a little of that in him but something changed even from the last time we saw each other in June.  He was more mature, making those 'big boy' decisions that transform a college aged kid into a full-fledged adult.  My other friend Matt, on the other hand, had just got engaged to his long-time girlfriend, Lori.  So I suppose that's 2 weddings next year I'll be attending!  One in San Juan, Puerto Rico and the other in St. Mary's, PA.  I couldn't be happier for these four people, whom I consider my extended family.  They deserve it very much:)


Joe, Myself, Ryan, Haley and Brandon outside of Starbucks

On Saturday was the Annual Kennywood Gran Prix Team's Thanksgiving get together.  This is a chance for my summer family to get together while all the kids are home from school and hang out as well as have a nice dinner.  We originally wanted to go to PF Chang's but the wait was about 2 hours so we ended up going to Bravo's Italian Restaurant.  Besides myself, my friends Joe, Haley, Fred, Karen, Ray, Brandon and Ryan were there.  I had a great time, hearing about how school was going for everybody and just hanging out.  I'm excited for this weekend because I will be working at Kennywood for there first ever 'Holiday Lights' weekends, leading up to Christmas as a rides operator in Kiddieland where I used to work 11 years ago as a summer operator!



*Picture is copyright of Andrew Rose*

Today, was that 'Blah' day I was talking about.  This is the last day of my Thanksgiving vacation before going back to teaching the kiddos tomorrow.  I got up, laid around watching Bravo! pretty much all morning, took a nap, got up and got ready to go to the gym to meet with my trainer, Andy.  When I got to the gym, I was dragging butt, so I decided to do a half-hour of cardio to get the blood moving in my system and work up a good sweat.  When I started with Andy, I asked him the usual...."How was your holiday?  How was the rest of your weekend?"  He told me that his weekend was great, I won't say anything more than that in this blog, but I will say that if you knew Andy like I do, you pretty much can fill in the blanks.  I had vented to Andy last Wednesday about some things I'm going through with school and my career paths right now and of course he set my mind at ease.  I really don't think he knows the effect that his words have on not just me, but probably a multitude of his clients.  A personal trainer has to be more than just that, you have to be willing to listen, to establish a positive rapport with them....after all, you do want them to come back to you for more!  He mentioned to me not only tonight but on numerous occasions that he loves his job.  He told me tonight that I need to become certified quick so I can work with him and reap the same benefits that he has at the gym.  I told him, January 18th bro!  Thanks for the motivation guys!

Comments