What exactly do you have to lose?

Only one month into 2012 and people are probably breaking their resolutions already.....and I'd put money on the ones they're breaking are mainly fitness and health ones.  Have you ever asked yourself after making a personal fitness/health goal or change, why did I make this promise to myself in the first place?  Most people probably don't put much thought into the WHY but don't you think it's time we slow down for a second, regroup, recollect our thoughts and return to this goal that we made for ourselves with a clear head?

This is the idea that I've gathered about those making fitness goals......unless you are totally driven/motivated to make a positive change for yourself, they usually are short-lived and fleeting ideals that you set yourself up for, only to let yourself down in a short period of time.

I tend to believe there are about 3 types of people in world when it comes to goal-setting:  There are the die-hard go getters.  These people are no nonsense, balls to the wall ready to make the change for the better and will do whatever it takes to rise to the next level.  These are also the people who have the theme from Rocky playing in a never-ending loop inside their heads, 24/7.    They'll will try anything at least once, just to feel the rush that the next new experience they are about to take on gives them.  I'm sure that if you try hard enough you can think of at least one or two people that you know like this.  Need a visual.....think of people such as Lance Armstrong, John Cena or even the personal trainer at your gym.  But sadly, not everyone has this mentality.  If they did, there would be a lot of people walking around looking like steroid-crazed bodybuilders.  Which might be a good thing, depending on how you look at it!!!

The second group of goal-setters tend to be those that I'll call the 'Full-on Monets'.  These are the people that set goals that look good on paper but when they actually settle down to start doing it, they realize that they either are not that interested anymore or that it's 'too hard'.  They probably were in a very positive mood when the goal was set and that is probably why they did it.  A lot of things look good from far away, but it's the forced perspective that brings things into focus and sometimes the end result is gruesome for some people.  If you feel that you can't do what you've asked of yourself, DON'T DO IT!  Plain and simple.  For whatever reason that you have, don't run around in circles trying to rev yourself up to accomplishing the task.

The third group in this trifecta are called the 'Debbie Downers and Lazy Lizards'.  You pretty much can piece together who falls into this category.  Now before you make judgements about how I feel about these kinds of people, here is my personal disclaimer:  I understand we all have our own agendas, things we need to do and limitations that we all have.  I understand that it's very difficult for some people to make an honest effort to stick with health goals based on their physical/mental toughness or limitations.  But for those people who are averagely healthy, here's what I think.......I've had friends that have told me in years' past that going to the gym and working out is a big waste of time b/c we all get to the point where we start aging and our bodies wilt away.  So basically, you are beating a dead horse.  REALLY?!  You are given an X amount of years on earth, why would you want to spend it weak and frail if you could do something about it?  Also, why wouldn't you want to help prolong your life?  I guess I am kind of on the fence about this whole issue due to the fact that I've been on both sides of the coin.  As a younger teen/man, I wasn't very motivated to hit the gym and 'get big'.  But as I grew older, ideas from other guys about looking and feeling better about myself infiltrated my thoughts and after much research, I made the change and I wouldn't change it for anything.

So, for goal setting here's what I recommend and this is nothing you haven't heard before, but I'm sure it bears repeating from time to time, lol.

Use the acronym SMART for setting goals.  SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-Bound.  You need your goals to be as specific as possible.  Telling yourself, "I'm going to walk everyday" really doesn't say much.  Instead, saying that you are going to walk 2 miles everyday for 45 minutes is more specific. 

Measurable goals stress the need for measuring progress to obtain the goal.  This goal usually answers the questions like, "How many?" or "How will I know when this is accomplished?"  Things you could do to keep yourself on track might be to set target dates, weigh yourself over periods of time or measure your stamina from week to week.

Attainable.  Ask yourself, "Is this goal to far fetched?  Will I be able to make the progress needed to achieve this goal for myself?"  This section stresses the question, "HOW will I accomplish this goal?"

Choose goals that matter to you and your life.  Picking and executing relevant goals will help you gain success in one or more of the areas in your life.  Does the goal seem worthwhile?  Is this the right time to begin this goal?  Are you the right person to be doing this?  These are some questions to ask yourself regarding relevancy.



None of this is rocket science but it does require commitment and focus on your part.  Lastly, don't stress.  You've made the goal, now see it through.  Trust me, you will be glad that you did.  I have a co-worker who has just recently made the steps to stop smoking and she hasn't picked up a cigarette in a little over a month.  She says that she feels better, less winded and even her husband said that her natural voice is starting to return!  Kudos to her and her new found strength of character as she goes through this journey to a healthier life for herself.

Make the goal.  Follow it through.  Make the steps to help you climb the mountain to get to the top.  What have you got to lose?

Comments