Refocused and Resfreshed

Today, I went to the gym this morning to meet up with yet another trainer to add to my team, Robbie.  We met actually in my classroom at work.  He is a Doctoral PT student at Chatham University and is doing some work with the students' at the Institute.  He came into my classroom one day after bringing one of my students back and I thought I knew him from somewhere and then I placed him.  I asked him, "You're a trainer at my gym, right?"  He said that he was and thought that he recognized me from the gym as well.  Now I absolutely love working out with my other trainers, Andy and Paulo, but it always good to get a new perspective on things, especially when Robbie has a Physical Therapy background.  Hopefully, he'd be able to steer me in a direction that would help aid my structural issues. 

When I got to the gym today, I stretched out and such and then I met with Robbie.  He's very soft spoken and took his time with listening to my medical issues and such and then we went out on the gym floor to get to work.  I told him my fitness goals as we went through various exercises, as well as any pains that I was feeling in my lower back.  One good thing about PT people is if you are hurting, they pretty much know what to do about it....or at the very least, point you in the right direction.   At the end of our session, he stretched me out and checked my hips and legs out.  This is what I meant about him taking his time.  Most trainers unless they have a Physical Therapy background, probably won't do this, either because they don't know how or they don't have the time. 

He confirmed what I already knew but when he told me his take on things, he had more facts to back things up.  He had also told me about a friend of his that is excellent with working on people's back's with manipulations and such, I told him to sign me up! 

Everybody who knows me practically knows that I hate the fact of getting older....who doesn't, right?  But it's inevitable.  We all age, get old and frail.  I've accepted and am actually looking forward to turning 30 in June.  I think this birthday will be a tremendous rebirth for me.  In the past year, I've done things physically that I never thought I'd do, honestly.  I've ran a few 5K's, upped my gym visits to about 5x's a week and have adopted a healthier lifestyle.  I get one shot at this life and I'm going to grab hold of it by the reigns and do something about it while I have the time, energy and stamina to do so.

I feel sorry for the people that aren't active....for whatever reason it may be.  I don't know what I would do if I couldn't go to the gym, walk outside down the street or play a sport (If I ever chose to do so!).  And for the handfuls of teenagers that sit in their homes each day playing senseless video games and watching endless hours of TV, and for what?  Entertainment?  You can get a lot of that by actually doing something worthwhile.  When I was a kid, we spent the days running around, playing at the park or a neighbor's house, and just basically being active kids.  Now obesity reigns supreme with today's youth.  This is a generation of despondent, lazy kids with no formidable goals or aspirations other than being gamers and TV junkies.

It's up to us as young adults and parents of children to encourage them to get active, join a team sport or spend some time making other people's lives' better somehow.  Life is not about sitting on the sidelines watching the world go by, if you want something in this world, you have to run after it.....don't jog, RUN!

Stay focused people, it's going to be a bumpy ride!  Stay focused and active!

Comments