NPTI: Second Update & Other Inspired Quips...

I thought I would take this opportunity to update you all on my experiences at the National Personal Training Institute.  This is also a great way for me to reflect on what I've been doing and where I'll be in the next few weeks and months.

Nobody forced me to do this.  As a matter of fact, I wasn't even certain that I would be able to juggle work, have a social life and still keep up with all this schooling.  Being a PT was a goal of mine that started years ago.  After years and years of studying, reading various textbooks about Anatomy, Kinesiology, etc., I had just about given up after failing my American Council on Exercise (ACE) at the end of this past May, until this opportunity came along.  So now, instead of independent study, I'm taking courses and participating in practical, hands-on work with clients.  So....what have I been up to lately?

PT requires you to be a multi-faceted person in ways of what you know and how you can apply it to client issues.  Aside from basic biology (which, I'd like to point out here I can't stand!), I've been learning about:

- Kinesiology (Study of Human Motion)
- Anthrokinematics (Study of Joint Movement)
- Hormones/Regulatory Processes
- Nutrition Guidelines/ National Standards
- Evaluative Testing/Fitness Benchmarks
- Diseases & Syndromes

...and so much more!  It's basically like I'm studying for my medical Ph.D.  In fact, in ways of nutrition, after I'm through, I'll be one tier below a RD (Registered Dietitian).  Fitness testing wise, I've learned how to administer Body Fat Analyses, Blood Pressures and basic fitness screens such as a basic step test, VO2Max (Maximum Oxygen Used), etc.

One of the groovy things about this is, in speaking of knowledge, I have a HUGE advantage over my 2 classmates.  Not that it's a race or anything like that, but my instructor Adam usually asks my opinion or insight on topics concerning Physical Therapy, due to my past education in college.  And that's another plus as well.  Everything I've learned up to this point or will be learning, I have already or will be able to use with my students where I teach.  I also utilize things to help myself in my never-ending battle with my own limitations.  I've learned that with my body, certain regressions and progressions need to take place to prevent injury from occurring.  Also, something I've known for a long time but have a lot more appreciation for is the fact that this whole process takes time and is always evolving itself to meet the demands and goals you place upon yourself.  You'd be surprised at how a majority of people don't get that.

I've also found my niche in this field too.  Being a 'fixer' personality type, I've discovered through my coursework that I'm a 'fixer' in the PT world as well.  We all know that the work of any PT is to 'fix' what needs changed and assist the clients we treat in sculpting a new body and ultimately change their life view on things.  With myself, I've found that I generally like to help those who need physical fixing.  I teach students with physical disorders; the topics of orthotics and proprioception interest me a lot; I've seen people confined to wheelchairs learn to take their first steps again or for the very first time in their whole lives....and that is so frickin' cool.  There's no better paycheck that when you see the gratitude on the faces of people beating the odds and knowing YOU had a hand in making that happen is so awesome.  So back to the original statement about finding my niche.  I feel that ultimately I am best suite to work with clients in a Rehabilitation setting as well as a gym setting.  Why limit myself, right?  I think I'm the type of guy who wants to learn as much as I possibly can about all areas of this industry.  Concerning group training instruction, yeah, I want to be the dude up front with the headset on, jumping around like a drill sargent getting people to feel the burn.  Even when I'm listening to music, sometimes I'll think, "This song would be awesome for a cardio-dance class routine!"

I don't believe that we go and find what ultimately is what we identify as our careers.  I think they tend to find us.  I certainly didn't expect any of this 'fitness stuff' to be a huge part of my life a decade ago, but here I am.  Think about it, if you're not happy or you dread going to your job, maybe that's no the one the universe wants for you.  There's a line form the last scene in the TV mini-series Anne of Green Avonlea where Anne tells Gilbert about her goals and dreams:



"I went looking for my ideals outside of myself and found out that it's not what the world holds for you.  It's what you bring to it.  The dreams that are dearest to my heart, are right here."

Comments