New habits yield New Endeavors


In my current line of work as a fitness instructor for Planet Fitness, it often surprises me as to what brings people to the gym to see me.  Day after day, I sit down with clients and conduct consultations, where I gather information to help me be able to effectively create workouts, specific to their goals and backgrounds.  The very first question that I always ask everyone is "What brought you here today to see me?"  As you can already fathom, I receive a multitude of responses to this question.  What I have learned extremely quick and somewhat had known before I started in my professional career in fitness is that the answers to this very simple question are most times very complex and have a story attached to them.  In the almost two months that I've been doing the work that I am doing, I've talked with run of the mill people; those who just want help to drop a few pounds, look good and feel good.  But, I've also talked with people who have been through some horrific things.

So before I get into this further, here's a scenario for you to make what I'm trying to say a little clearer.  You know that situation when you get an evaluation from your boss and he or she tells you about 37 things that you do really awesome but there's always that one thing, an 'opportunity for growth' that you could just do or perform a little bit better?  Well, this is kind of how my work is.  Because when I ask people about their successes with their weight or health, they always tell me about their most excruciating experiences with going to the gym, dieting and so on.  Usually what this amounts to in the long run is a sense of shame or fear of disconnection.  A notion of "Is there something about me, that if people know it or see it, that I won't be worthy of connecting with this personal trainer guy?"  Now, this might be a little too dramatic but it's 100% true...and we do it all the time, not just in a gym setting, but wherever and whenever we feel vulnerable.  But anyway, back to people who have gone through horrific things in their lives and why that has so much impact in not just my line of work but for anybody who works with people on a daily basis.  From trauma to various other things, for the people I mentioned in my first paragraph, sometimes the need for change has been laid upon them by what they have experienced.  Gym-goers in general go to the gym for one reason:  to get stronger and the people I just spoke of usually have an edge when it comes to keeping their goals in sight and accomplish things that lifting weights could never provide.  Strength comes in many different forms and each of us, no matter what hand we've been dealt in life, all have an ace up our sleeves that we haven't played yet.  Because usually, our strongest cards are those we haven't even played yet.

I tend to think I'm not like a lot of trainers.... but maybe I am, who knows?!  Remember how I said that strength comes in many forms?  Listening to people's struggles about how they got to their current situation can weigh on you because, consider this:  Clients come to see me every day, sometimes as a last resort because they wholeheartedly believe that what I tell them and the exercise plan I prescribe is going to improve their health as well as their entire lives.  Now this may seem a bit dramatic (I'm all for the drama in this post, right?!!!)  but I personally take my job so much more than just 'helping people lose weight' or 'look good for beach season'.  I tend to guide clients on at 50/50 journey when they sit down with me.  Let me explain.  

When I sit down with a client, I start out on a journey with this person.  It's not about saying all the things they want to hear, most times they want to hear the facts, no matter how difficult they may seem at the time.  Here is a typical scenario that illustrates this:

“So what brings you in today?”

“I’ve really let myself go and would like to lose 20 pounds by the end of July for a wedding.”


“Well, let’s talk about this for a few minutes.  Healthy weight loss is usually one pound a week and that can be dependent on how consistent you are with not only just your workouts but more importantly your diet.  About 85 to 90% percent of this whole fitness and health battle is going to be in your diet and what you feed your body.  I like to use the analogy that ‘Your body is like a car.  What you feed into it is ultimately the energy output you get from it.’

I could go on and on but you get the gist of it.  As the consult goes on, I’m usually able to fill in the blanks upon the REAL reasons a person wants to lose the weight, our mental barriers and roadblocks that we have created in our heads about how we are supposed to look and who we’re supposed to emulate.  I was speaking to an individual just last night during a follow-up consult about diet habits and it paints a perfect picture of what I just described about our mental demons and how the detrimental effects they can have on us, without or without our knowledge.  The consult began just as they usually do….” How are ya today?” “Are you feeling okay, how’s the soreness?”  But this person sat down and looked at me with a serious tone on their face and asked me, “What am I doing wrong?”  I was taken aback a little, “What do you mean?”  This person wanted to know why they were feeling lousy, not really gaining muscle and continued to ‘just maintain things’.  After a few minutes of chatting, I determined that the very reason for the sluggish feelings, no changes in their body was a mental barrier that they had built up over time, dating back to when this person was caring for an elderly family member in hospice care.  I brought up the question, “How is your life different now, as opposed to then?  What diet changes could you be making instead to give you more energy and stamina during the day BEFORE you get here?”  I saw the look on their face and knew that I hit home with what I had asked.  Sometimes the simplest answers to our questions require long roads of dead ends before we can come to the destination but if we hadn’t gone down those roads, we’d never grow into the people that we currently are or want to become.  What changed for this person is that 1.) Someone took the time to invest in her problems on a humanistic l and offered some encouragement and support. 2.) The realization that we are constantly having to modify and change our habits to fit the current person that we are. 

If we stick with old habits, we yield old results.  Although for some, that may be a safe way to play the hand, we often find that we are missing out on things that are often exciting and new every single day.  Now, as for this client of mine…..I can’t say that it was 100% me that made them have an epiphany and completely change at that moment.  But…. I planted a seed.  And now, this individual can either use what I’ve told them or stay the same.  I’m just the Guide on my clients’ journey.  Ultimately, it’s up to them to take what I’ve taught them and get in there, hit the weights, crush their diets and live a healthy life.

I think writer Stephen Grellet said it best:

“I shall pass through this world but once.
Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”


Our goals in this life should be continuous, when we achieve one, begin another.  If we were created to be anything but stagnant, hollow beings without a purpose, we wouldn’t be here.  Our jobs on this mission require fast thought, delicate care and should motivate us to better for the world because by doing better for the world, we better ourselves all the more.

Comments