Yet Another trip Around The Sun.....

I'm closing the books on my 35th year in existence tomorrow and what a year it has been!  Usually the days leading up to my birthday I like to reflect on the things and people that made this past year unique and special.  This year, a lot of emphasis has been placed on building my career in the fitness industry, engaging and revisiting relationship in my life with friends and family and just basically trying to expand myself as a human being.


Last June on my birthday, I was fresh out of a relationship so I still had some of the 'hangover' that usually is associated with that.  Prior to the breakup, feelings of anxiety and depression wreaked havoc on my life and hung around like a dark cloud everywhere I went.  But let's talk about after. 
Once I realized that I would have to rebuild and restart living life as a single guy again wasn't easy at first but luckily, I have a great support system of family and friends who were there when I needed to talk, hang out, etc.  As the first few months passed, I starting focusing my energy and time into things that I knew I could control and was passionate about.  Of course, I turned to fitness and writing.  Anybody that knows me know that I wholeheartedly love my job and the work I do with clients everyday but I wanted to expound on my career into a new area.  Doing my research and footwork through various publications, internet sites, etc., I decided to reopen my Zumba class that I was previously doing a year earlier at my friend Jen's dance studio.  "I want to give back to the community, but how?"  I remember asking myself.  As luck would have it, a member at Planet Fitness where I train, works with the Salvation Army in McKeesport.  She said that they would probably love having a Zumba class there once a week.  "This is it!"  I thought, my way of giving back to the community on some small scale.  After meeting Kate, one of the S.A. Officers, we were both extremely excited about offering this to the community that they serve.  This is one of the things this year that I am proud of.

Anybody in a romantic relationship knows that when you start dating and then after you get married, friendships aren't as commonplace as they once were. So during my relationship, I lost track of a lot of people that I held near and dear to my heart.  This past year, I wanted to regain those relationships that I lost and also, build some new ones as well.  My ex wasn't exactly what'd you would call a social kind of guy, which makes him and I like night and day.  I've always loved meeting new people and building new friendships that turn into lifelong ones.  So, needless to say, when I start dating him, those relationship started to drift away, which I hated.  I actually had to sit down with myself and think about the people that I wanted to bring back into my life because I've missed them and let me tell you, the list was long.  As an empathic person, I base a lot of my decisions on how I feel.  Sometimes I also pick up the vibrations from other people's emotions and make them my own, which is an odd feeling but trust me, it can be very helpful.  That's when I realized my superpower, one of them at least, being able to connection with people on an emotionally raw level.  I started rebuilding those relationships and began to feel more whole as a person ag
ain, which led me to believe that I was on the right path.  I recently attended a wedding for my great friends, DJ and Megan.  I love
weddings, especially if I know the bride and the groom.  I also enjoyed it because I was able to reconnect with some of my best friends after not seeing each other for quite some time.  Whenever I find myself at events like that where I'm surrounded by people I have a long history with, I get butterflies and feelings of nostalgia...no really!  The older my friends and I get, the more I am able to appreciate the strength of our friendships.  One of the greatest moments of that day was at the very end actually.  We were all saying our goodbyes and DJ came over and hugged me and said in my ear "Thank you for coming and I'm really happy that you're doing so well."  I knew what he was referring too and honestly, it's what I needed in that moment.  So with that, thank you DJ, you are always my brother:)

Being a lifelong student can be very rewarding because you're always looking for something new to pique your interest.  I started reading books again, actual books even!  Not iBooks or phony substitutes....nothing beats opening up the cover of a new book.  The books I usually read are self-empowerment and self-help books.  I think they help me in my working life as well as my personal life and the relationships I have with others.  Through a book that I'm currently reading called The Judgement Detox by Gabrielle Bernstein, I'm learning to stay out of judgement more and not be too
quick to make assumptions about others before knowing them.  I think in a way in the past I've always been guilty of that and it's something I'm working on changing.  I've also made a professional Instagram account (@johnschesslerjr) where I post inspirational and motivational anecdotes and stories about what I feel that people need to hear at the time.  I want to create a community that people feel safe and cared for in.

One of the big things for me this past year also has been my physical body improvements.  Anybody working in fitness or anyone who visits the gym regularly will tell you that it feels great when you see the results you're working so hard to get.  But my improvements happened this year OUTSIDE of the gym walls.  I have a low testosterone levels for a good part of I'll say 5 years and it sucks.  Tired all of the time, irritable, emotional at times, etc.  This was something that I remember when I turned 35 I wanted to revisit.  With the help of a great urologist and the right medications, my levels have skyrocketed and I have never felt better or more energized.  I can't believe I had been living like a zombie for some many years.  So guys, a piece of advice:  get your levels checked!!!  Also, my lower back problems have regressed substantially.  My chiropractors and good friends Mario and Alex have been working on my spine for the past year and it has helped so much!  Aside from more energy, I don't tire out as much and have to sit as often.  I've had lower back pain probably for 20 years so this is definitely an awesome thing to have happen!

So what's on tap for me this year?  Well, I don't have a written list or anything formal like that but what I can tell you is that I continue to foster and cherish the relationships of the people that I love because at the end of the day, that's why we're all here and this is what it's all about.  Also, I'm going to continue to educate myself in my career and take risks when appropriate as well.  The only bad risk is the one you didn't take.  Also, I plan to travel ALOT more this year, either by myself for clearing my head or with friends and family.  I am also wanting to become and advocate of sorts for mental health awareness and suicide prevention because as someone who has experienced huge spurts of anxiety at times, I know how crippling it can be when you feel like there's no one out there to turn to.

I'm proud of the man that I've become and still working on.  As I close the door on 35 I can honestly say that in this moment, right now, I'm right where I'm supposed to be and can't wait to see what the next years brings.  Love you all:)



Comments