Educators Are A Rare Breed.

Have you ever wondered what kind of lives your teachers had when they weren't inside the classroom?  Did they go home and do math problems....just for funsies?  Or did they think diagramming sentences was fun?  Working in the Education arena for almost 8 years has had me work with some interesting characters through my jobs and now that I'm making the transition within the next few years to a career in Physical Therapy, I'm going to share some stories.  Buckle up kids and take your seats because class is in session!!

Back in August of 2007, I began working as a Teacher's Assistant in a local school district.  My aunt actually teaches in the district and was very excited I got the job.  I was placed with a third grade learning support class working with a rather 'school-marmish' teacher.  Although she was very nice, this woman was a seasoned teacher and very by the book.  That year, nothing very exciting enters my memory at the moment, only that it was a great experience I had teaching the kids.

The next year, I learned on the first day of school, my classroom assignment was switched from third grade Learning Support to Kindergarten through third grade Life Skills.  Being new to the field, I really didn't know what I was walking into.  So I walked into the new classroom where I would be working and there were already students there (it was the beginning of the school day).  I met the teacher I'd be working with, Sherry.


Sherry was what I would term a 'Stylish Biker Chick'.  Her skin was tanned, late 40's, long reddish hair and had a true Pittsburgher's accent.  Her voice often reminded me of the old, crazy lady on The Simpsons, you know, the one with all the cats and had a shotgun.  She had a boyfriend named Kick and on the weekends, they would put on their motorcycle leathers and just ride.  She also had a daughter, Kristi, who is now at Penn State, pursuing a degree.  On the surface, Sher was just one of the guys.  She liked having a beer, enjoyed a good joke and smoked cigarettes.  She and I also took up country line dancing classes once a week at the American Legion with some other district co-workers.  It was a lot of fun, a good workout and a way to feel a part of the surrounding community.  I truly miss those times and cherish those memories.  One night, somebody commented on how well I danced and I remember referring to myself as 'Fresh'.  Everybody laughed and I quickly gained a new nickname.  As time passed, the class disbanded and I would have to begin the search to find something new to try.  Sher had some catch-phrases as well that she rattled off from time to time.  Some of the ones I can recall were 'It's enough to make you want to take a bridge' or 'You know what I mean?'.  There was another assistant in the room, my female counterpart, Amy.  Her and Sherry were so much alike, it was scary.  At the beginning of that year, I couldn't stand her;  by the end, I loved working with her.  Working in an environment like that, you've gotta laugh or you'll go crazy.  And that's exactly what we tried to do everyday.   At the time, Amy was in school to be an RN and she took her boards later that year.  Currently, Amy is an RN at a hospital in Pittsburgh.  Now that I think about it, I worked with with some very attractive people that year!  Everyone was always dressed very stylishly....Even me!  Haha!  These definitely were two very special people and great reasons I enjoyed going to work every single day.  In April of that year, I had a job interview which went very well.  Sherry had student taught at the place I interviewed at and wished me well.  The last day was bittersweet for me.  The memories I made and the experiences I had, had prepped me for my new journey at The Children's Institute.

When I started my employment at CI, the feeling was different than in my last position.  It was as if I worked in a hospital, not a school.  I was hired as an assistant in a Multi-Disabilities classroom.  Basically, there were eight kiddos in my classroom that I would be assisting throughout the day.  I'm not going to say much about the students because I have already filled you in previously on this blog about the types of things they are dealing with.  I will say though that they are a constant source of inspiration for me to pursue my goals and dreams each day.  I kind of sympathize with having to deal with deficits such as theirs, but the difference between them and myself is I made a full recovery.  Most of them won't.  My first year at CI was much like the first year at my previous placement, just mundane and blah.  I did, however, learn sign language, which I still use to this day, as well as other skills.  The fun arrived in year number two!

It's funny the way things have a way of working themselves out.  My second year, as in my first placement, my classroom was switched to a younger classroom.  The teacher I would be working with was Janet.  Now, the similarities between Sherry and Janet are so close together it's really weird.  Instead of riding motorcycles, Janet rides quads at her camp up near St. Mary's, PA.  She and her husband Joe own cabins appropriately named "Slack's Shacks".  Janet has a sense of style that is more relaxing than Sherry's but I've seen pictures and she cleans up very well I might add.  Janet has been working at CI for about 27 years and enjoys her job very much.    She is like one of the guys as well....making jokes, keeping the mood light in the classroom when things get stressful and just trying to make the most out of our days together.  Aside from Janet, I also have my bookend in the room, Janice.  Janice is a little spitfire of a woman who really doesn't take no for an answer.  I tend to call her 'Ethel' from time to time, getting the name from the TV Show "I Love Lucy".  She calls me Fred as well.....I got the bald part down anyway, lol.  Janice has been there a little over 9 years and started there because she wanted to be around the kids.  I kind of think of her as the classroom mother.  She is always using a 'motherly' tone around the kids, using a firm but gentle hand.  Now along with Janet and Janice, we have the Therapists that work with our kids as well.  Jason, our Physical Therapist, is an energetic guy who is wonderful with kids.  For me, he is a great teacher being I'm in school for PT.  He let's me participate in working with the kids to give myself hands-on training for when I have my clinical rotations.  Heather, our Occupational Therapist, is also an energetic, humorous woman who is a great source of comic relief for myself during the day.  Heather is currently expecting her first child in early November so I will definitely miss her while she's gone!  But it is great news!  Congrats Heather!  Patty is our Speech-Language Pathologist.  Patty brings her own special comedic relief to the day with her witty banter and enjoys working with each of the kids that we have in our room.

I am very grateful for the chance to be able to work with these knowledgeable and wonderful people each day.  Hopefully, I provide them with humor during the day as they do me.  I was thinking the other day about some of the jokes and things that we have all said or done to make each others' day 'sunnier'.  It always brings a big smile to my face and usually a laugh too.  You can't really pick the people you work with normally, usually you just have to tolerate some of them most of the time.  I think I ended up where I am at this current moment in time because I was meant to be.  For whatever reason, I think I was placed where I'm at to teach people things, both educationally and humanistically-based.  I know I'm am learning a heck of a lot myself about tolerance levels, cherishing the little things in life and appreciating my work family for all that it is worth.


People in the education field are a rare breed.  I was sitting in an in-service meeting yesterday morning with members of my team.  Sitting in the same spot for two hours at a spit is enough to put anyone to sleep.  Especially, if it's on things that you already know.  Every now and then, one of us would make some sort of comment to make the meeting bearable and certainly more humorous.  We even have a them song for this year.....Little Big Town's "Tornado".  Big things are going to happen this year, I can just 'see' them now!

Underneath it all, us teachers are just like you.  We go out, like to have a good time, have families of our own, friends we hang out with, etc.  The next time you see your teachers, try and view them other than the authority figures that they portray themselves to be.  You may be surprised at the results.

Comments