Blessed be.....

Blessed be those who are grateful…..

The picture to your left is me, almost 22 years ago.  The kid in this picture doesn't know what his life is going to turn out to be, what trials and tests lie ahead of him or how long it will be before he is even able to know if he’ll ever walk on his own.  There were times that I felt sorry for myself, as most people in my situation do, asking themselves, “What do I do now?  How am I going to have a life?  Am I going to have to be a burden to others forever?”  At ten years old, you can’t really comprehend being faced with this kind of reality and take it that seriously.  I mean c’mon, one minute I was playing outside with my friends and the next I was paralyzed.  But as luck would have it I bounced back and like a Phoenix, I arose from the ashes a brand-spanking new person.   But this blog isn't about me or what I went through.  This entry is about what we receive as ‘payment’ for whatever it is that we go through.  We all go through trials and tribulations in our lives to help us to gain some sort of grasp on things and help us gain control and see the bigger picture.  Eventually, when you get to the end of your problem at hand, there is usually some sort of emotional gain that you receive from having gone through what you had to and usually it makes us a better, more put-together human being.  Most of us would say that we are ‘blessed’ in some form.
           
The funny thing about blessings is that they are usually disguised and we don’t see them right away and there are those that don’t take the time to find them at all.  If you would have told me 10 years ago, when I was in college at Penn State that 10 years from now I would ooze positivity, be working where I currently am working, taking classes to become certified as a Personal Trainer and have the friends I have…I would’ve had you committed.  College was a roller coaster ride of ups and downs for me for many reasons as is with a lot of people.  College is a time to experiment, push boundaries and explore whatever it is that you THINK you might want to pursue as a life path and passion.  Although I knew primarily what I wanted to do, I hadn’t really thought about all the work involved, how long it was going to take, etc.  I was just focused on graduating and getting a job like most college students.  I realize now that everything I had to go through, all the classes that I took and the people I interacted with led me to where I am at right at this moment in my timeline.  If I hadn’t gone through all that I did, in the exact order that it happened, my life probably would look a lot different right now.  We all get depressed in college, I don’t care if you deny it or not.  You get down on yourself when things aren’t going the way you planned them to and that’s basically where I was during that time.  I talked to a lot of people about what I thought I should do; the degree I should pursue, etc.  Nothing ever seemed to ‘fit’ me exactly the way I wanted it to.  I was scattered to say the least.  Defeated after five long years of trying, I left Penn State with NO degree….a decision that I regret to this day.  But there’s beauty in the breaking here but I didn’t see it until years later.  Two years after leaving PSU, I went back to CCAC to pursue an Associate’s Degree in Social Work which I was awarded in 2007.  Shortly after being in a job that was in the Social Work field, I decided it really wasn’t my cup of tea.    To make a long story short, I now work with students who really do have a reason to complain but they don’t.  This brings me to the point of all of this: however well-planned out you have your life, something always comes into play that you haven’t thought about that shakes things up.  It may not necessarily be bad or wrong, it’s just something you hadn't thought about or accommodated to fit in your nice, neat little box. 
My friends:  Nick, Paulo, Sam, Andy & Tom
Now back to the topic at hand, blessings.  We all have them but few people actually take the time to count their own personal life blessings and what they SHOULD be thankful for.  How about the simplest one?  You’re breathing, right?  There’s one!  When I hear the words “I’m Blessed” there’s a few people who immediately come to mind because they say this phrase from time to time.  Probably because they recognize the fact that they are in a word, blessed.  Nobody’s life is ever perfect and it shouldn't be either.  My friends who are Personal Trainers are good at keeping this in check.  Anything that ever means anything to you never comes easy, but at the end of that journey, you are so much more appreciative and full of accomplishment; you probably wouldn't feel half as good if you hadn't worked as hard, fought the battles that you had to and went to some pretty dark places inside yourself to find the brave person that you are.  If you read some of my previous entries, you've heard me talk about how to be a great trainer, you have to empathize with your clients and a lot of their problems are relatable in some ways to your own craziness.  My friends Tom, Nick, Andy, Paulo and Sam are great motivators and they also appreciate what their clients give them as well.  Each of them exudes qualities to others that show they are grateful for the jobs they hold and the lives they lead by displaying their candor, humbleness and just awesome personalities.   These guys do not even know the degree to how much they've helped and inspired me to be a better version of myself and find a sense of peace on a whole new level.  Another friend of mine, Anna wrote on her Facebook status just this evening about appreciating what God has given you because there are people out there who wish they had a taste of what you have.  I know that I wallow in self-pity from time to time as most do, perseverating on what I don’t have as opposed to what I do have and the people in their lives I have to share it with.  This mentality is so self-defeating; it’s sickening to think about.  The energy you spend on feeling sorry for yourself, you could be putting into figuring things out in your own life to make some sort of sense of all the crazy going on.  I do understand why people have self-defeating behaviors though.  It’s like when we get hurt; we put a Band-Aid over the scratch to let it heal or when an animal licks a wound….it soothes and comforts us from the pain and anguish as well as distracts ourselves from the emotions that swim beneath the surface, such as anger, fear, etc.  One of the quotes I use from time to time is ‘Ain’t nobody nowhere is living’ no dream life’ and it’s true, no one isn't;  they’re just good actors.  We’d all like to think that we have a handle on all aspects of ourselves 24/7 but we don’t.  We weren't built with that capacity to have all our ducks in a row 100% of the time; you are going to screw up at some point, you are only human after all.  There’s an article by Marc Chernoff called 50 Ways to Waste A Life where he outlines his personal 50 points about how self-defeating ways can lead to a life of misery and despair, not only for you but for those associated with you.  Because when you suck, those around you notice and if they’re not careful, some of your ‘suckiness’ will rub off on you.  A bad mood or anything along those lines is like a disease, not caring who it infects but once one person has it, it catches onto to another person and another, until you wind up with a whole bunch of depressed individuals around you. 

Whether its relationship issues, work problems or you feel your life is falling apart at the seams, remember that someone out there is going through the exact same thing as you or worse.  It may sound cliché when you think about it but it’s the truth and it can get kind of annoying to others too.  Always being depressed when you’re around other friends is a huge turn-off causing those that care about you not wanting to spend that much time with you because let’s face it: no one like a Debbie Downer.



So what do you do when everything is all topsy-turvy in your life and you feel like there’s no way out of the mess that you find yourself in?  Well, it’s been my experience in my personal life that when life spits in your face, you have a few options:  Lie down and start waving the white flag or stand up, swallow a big boy/girl pill, grow a set and do your work to get on track again.  One of my favorite Life Coaches and inspirational speakers is Iyanla Vanzant, who has a show on the OWN Network called Fix My Life.  The show is about people who have their lives in turmoil for one reason or another and Iyanla goes in for a few days, helps people by listening and offering advice as well as exercises to help open up old wounds and reveal truths behind what they’re hiding from.  But have you ever thought about what a Life Coach actually does?  A Life Coach is there to act as a guide of sorts; people that direct aspects of your life that aren’t so good and point them into a direction that helps you make positive steps.  They are like what a Spirit Guide is to a Medium or what a Coach is to an Athlete.  Usually Life Coaches get into the job they’re in because of their life experiences.  For Ms. Vanzant, she lost her daughter to cancer on Christmas Day in 2003, also lost her marriage to her husband in 2002.  She had to pick up the pieces and start all over again.  Needless to say, she did the footwork, got in the trenches of her crazy mixed up life and grabbed for some semblance of normalcy and won.  Today, she helps millions of people by offering advice and life lessons that anyone can benefit from; you just have to be open enough and willing to take the risk the benefit from the gift that it being offered to you.  In the most recent past, I’ve thought about being a life coach.  I’d certainly have a lot to draw on for people but the thought crossed my mind, “Do I really need to have a certificate to be a life coach?”  When it comes down to it, isn’t all that a life coach is is nothing more than being a friend?  We all have those friends that we open up to more about personal issues than others.  It’s usually the ones who take the time to sit and just listen; those people who are non-judgmental and care about you best interest.  These people are often very genuine in their personality and just basically ‘good people’.  I’m the type of person that is happy when others’ are happy and at their best.  My philosophy on life is that your time here is way too short to be burdened by despair so sing a song and be happy.  I also tend to put other before myself; a fault which I am working on constantly.  As my friend and one of my ‘counselors’ Ryan pointed out a few weeks ago as we sat outside of Starbucks drinking our lattes when I said that I’m tired of being the ‘fixer’ all of the time.  To this he said two words in response, “STOP IT then!”  Ryan is a very straight-forward type of guy and I admire that about him.  He’s also a very good listener as well who has a lot of experiences in his own life than he can draw wisdom and inspiration from to aid others in their own problems.  It’s funny but even now as I’m typing this, he and I are more alike than I thought in how we think and some of the experiences that we've had.  People who are deemed ‘fixers’ in life rarely have the chance to have their own problems and issues heard by someone else.  Probably because everyone figures that you know what you’re doing, have very little problems or stress and if you do, you can handle it on your own.  It’s times like these that I am thankful for friends like Ryan in my life, so I consider this one of my many blessingsJ 

I have the greatest family; the kind that would go out of their way to make you feel welcome, loved and accepted at all costs.  The older I get, the more appreciative I am of their company.  It stinks that we often don’t learn this lesson until we are adults and for some, this lesson is never learned or it has been neglected.  I don’t think there is one time in my life that my family has been supportive of a decision that I've made or helped me get on the right track.  Sure, we fight, bicker back and forth like any other family does but at the end of the day, we love each other and that’s what matters the most. And then there are those friends who are basically an extension of your family; we all have those too. I've been blessed with not only a great and awesome family, but wonderful friends that would go out of their way to help you when you need it and also be there for the good times too.  The people you work with are usually an example of one of your families and I've have the opportunity to work with some of the best.  I honestly don’t know if I would still be working where I currently am if it wasn't for the people I interact with on a daily basis.  At my job we are on teams for each of the individual classrooms that makeup the day school and I think my team is one of the best.  If you ask anybody who works with children, anybody who does it well anyway, how do you connect with them?  My personal answer would be to act like child yourself and that’s basically my team in a nutshell.  We’re just all big kids!  And it works to our benefit too.  Being the youngest professional on the team (Youngest…..that has a nice ring to it
J) I have a lot that I am able to learn from my colleagues but I bring something to the table as well.  I’d like to think my humor and my adaptability to new situations fares well among the staff and students I interact with.  Janet, the woman who is the head teacher in the classroom has been like a of 2 second mothers to me for the past 3 years and going on a 4th this year!  The other mother is Janice, the other aide in our classroom.  Whenever I have a problem or an issue in my professional or personal life, they are right there adding their own advice as to what I should do or any options I should consider before doing anything.  I remember one time last year that circumstances looked like I wasn't going to be working in my current classroom and I remember Janice started to cry a little and it was touching.  I didn't know that I had such an effect on her and I felt very humbled and loved at the same time.  That’s why we call each other Fred and Ethel; you can’t have one without the other.  Oh and just in case you were wondering, Janet is Lucy, lol.  So as luck would have it, this Thursday starts the beginning of another school year for the staff and although most are dreading leaving their summer vacations behind for the day-in/day-out work scene for the next ten months, I’m looking forward to it.  This year, I have new digs, brand new students and new challenges to face each day.  You have to have something that gets you out of bed in the morning every day and I think I’m finally beginning to gain some appreciation for the work I get to do with my students.


One blessing that I've left out and is probably one of the biggest and most important of all is my 5-year old niece, Addison.  From the minute she was born, my outlook on life has never been the same…in a good way.  It’s funny how introducing a child into the mix will do that to people.  She’s taught me so much discipline and knowing what’s important in life.  As her Uncle and Godfather, I can only wish that as she grows older, she is able to come to me if she ever has any problems or questions about anything in life that she is thinking about.  I want to help her grow and understand that she is fully capable of accomplishing great things in her lifetime but she can’t do it all on her own.  I wish her all the things that I wish for myself; health, happiness and love for a lifetime!


What blessings do you have?  Do you recognize the fact that they’re there or do you just go on about your life neglecting to take stock in all the richness and fulfilling things that you should be grateful for in life?  Life is tough, but it’s the minuscule things every day that makes life worth living.  Finding the saccharin qualities in things like a quiet moment to yourself or hearing the laughter of a child that makes life bearable in our darkest moments of existence.  Whatever your reasons are or how you get through a day is very individualistic but it’s important to take time to do a self-re-evaluation and take stock of the things that you’re thankful for.  It may also allow you to see the things that you need to work on as well, bringing some areas of your life open to positive changes that have greater effect on your friends, family and co-workers. 


So, what of that little boy whose picture you saw at the beginning of this post?  Whatever happened to him?  Did he just lie down and take the proverbial beating that life gave him.  Of course not.  For those of you that know me know I’m stubborn to fault and will look for any opportunity to face a challenge head on.  The events of my life, the interactions with the people that I have, have all molded me into the man that I am today.  Giving back and paying it forward to others is one of the many ways of saying thank you to whomever and whatever it is that is guiding me through life.  And with that I am truly blessed.  And let me end this entry today by saying that whatever changes you’re thinking about making in your life, do them today because as slow as you think the week is going to drag on, that’s how fast it’s going to fly by.  I don’t think you can’t say that people don’t like taking their work home with them most days, but in this work of motivating people, it’s a twenty-four hour a day, seven days a week gig for me and I’m loving every minute of it!


Comments